วันมหิดล ๒๔ กันยายน                      รับน้องใหม ๒๔๘๒่    รับน้องใหม่ ๒๕๑๘    อาคารสำนักงานมหาวิทยาลัยมหิดล 2531-2543  อาคารสำนักงานมหาวิทยาลัยมหิดล ณ ปัจจุบัน

Mahidol University : The Oldest Higher Education Institution in Thailand

Mahidol University has its origins in the first institute of higher education in Thailand, founded by His Majesty King Chulalongkorn the Great (Rama V) in 1890 as a medical school attached to Siriraj Hospital.  The hospital had been founded by H.M. King Chulalongkorn two years earlier.  The medical school was successively renamed the Phatayakorn School in 1893, and the Royal Medical School in 1900.  When His Majesty King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) reorganized Thailand's higher educational system in 1916, the Siriraj Hospital Medical School became the Faculty of Medicine for medical students studying at the newly formed Chulalongkorn University.

Another major reorganization of higher education in Thailand resulted in the establishment of the University of Medical Sciences in 1943 with the Faculty of Medicine and Siriraj Hospital again transferred under it along with the Faculty of Dentistry, the Faculty of Pharmacy and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, all from Chulalongkorn University. During the period 1948-1968, the University of Medical Sciences expanded, founding a total of 10 new faculties, namely : the Faculty of Public Health, the Faculty of Medicine at Chulalongkorn Hospital, the Faculty of Medical Technology, the Faculty of Medicine at Chiang Mai Hospital, the Faculty of Tropical Medicine, the Faculty of Medical Science (now named the Faculty of Science), the Faculty of Graduate Studies, the Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, a second Faculty of Dentistry at Phayathai Road and a second Faculty of Pharmacy.

Further educational restructuring transferred various Faculties of the University of Medical Sciences to other government universities. Thus, when on 1 March, 1969, the Royal Gazette of Thailand announced the renaming of this modern, diverse academic institution as Mahidol University, Mahidol was composed of 9 Faculties : Science, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Medical Technology, Public Health, Graduate Studies, Tropical Medicine, and 2 Faculties of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital and Ramathibodi Hospital.

A Royal Heritage

Mahidol University takes its name from Prince Mahidol of Songkla, the Royal Father of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the reigning monarch of Thailand.  A doctor and public health specialist, Prince Mahidol was vital in promoting medical and scientific training and improving the state of medicine in Thailand in the early 1900s, establishing international training scholarships and founding training schools in various medical fields.  He is universally known as "The Father of Modern Medicine and Public Health in Thailand".
In recognition of Prince Mahidol's great efforts in medicine, the University of Medical Sciences - the country's first institution of higher learning and foremost institution of medical training - was graciously renamed "Mahidol University" by H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej in 1969.

Mahidol University profile. Nakhon Pathom : International Relations Division, Mahidol University, 2001